Monday, September 19, 2011

Why Do You Love Working as a Nanny?

It is National Nanny Recognition Week September 18 - 24

In honor of National Nanny Recognition Week, yesterday we aksed nannies how their employers show them that they appreciate them. Today Be the Best Nanny Newsletter asks nannies to share why they love working in their chosen profession. Please take the time to read the comments by professional nannies below and share why you love working as a nanny as well.


Terri Carrol answered, "I love being a nanny because I know I make a difference in the lives of the little ones I come in contact with -- even if it's just a one-week temporary job. I could write 10-pages on why I know this is true, but I'll spare you. What a joy to know I've been a positive influence in their lives forever -- even long after they have completely forgotten me!"

Sue Downey explains, "Anyone who works with children knows the joys of helping kids to find themselves, the pride in being a part of the process of raising a child, and the simple fun of play. We know that things we do today have long reaching effects and the work we do is important. But to me what makes being a nanny unique is that I can interact with the whole family, which can have deeper and more lasting benefits than a teacher or coach. I have benefited from these relationships in ways that I cannot explain. It is an intimate relationship and one that is completely unique."

Click here to read an essay by Josiah Laubenstein. He explains that even though working as a nanny is a messy, unglamourous, exhausting, and even dangerous job, being a nanny is about having unconditional love for children.

Click here to see what it means to Andrea Flagg to be a nanny.  She describes the many different hats nannies wear in a work day: tutor, nutritionist, chef, hygienist, nurse, counselor, coach, and body-guard, just to name a few. Great nannies, like Andrea Flagg, really do take the extra time and effort to provide educational activities and new experiences to help spark the child's curiosity and self-esteem.

What nanny doesn't take great pride in helping to mold and shape children into the adults they will someday become, as Emelie Wingblad Root described?

De-Shaun Silas explained so perfectly why she loves working as a nanny. How many people can say they actually love their jobs? Well, De-Shaun and others like her can. What could be more important than knowing you have made a positive difference in the life of a child that will last with them forever?

As the parents that employ nannies honor them this week for National Nanny Recognition Week, I want to thank the parents that entrust us to help raise their most precious children. There is no greater honor I can think of than helping raise children by working as a nanny.

Why do you love working as a nanny?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of nanny recognition week until yesterday. How do we get our boss's to find out about it? I would feel weird saying, Do you know it's National Nanny Recognition Week?

Patti said...

I like not having to be in an office amd beinmg trusted to take care of the kids.

Anonymous said...

Darlene
Seeing my charge laugh and smile and watch her grow and learn through the time we spend together.

Britney Ann
I love being a Nanny because I don't know anyone that loves their job more than I. Or someone that even forgets that its a job because they enjoy it so much. I enjoy teaching, guiding, playing and even learning from the children I work with. Well I just adore children, in all different shapes and sizes :) Their our future and I love being apart of that.

Sarah
Like Britney, I love being a nanny because, regardless of the occasional rough day here or there, I truly do love this job more than anyone I know love theirs. I miss my charges over the weekend, or especially when they go on trips. I love ...seeing them learn and grow, and being a part of that. I love that all of my charges, when they go on to "higher learning" are top notch, explorative learners, which their teachers notice and comment on. I love that, even when I am exhausted at the end of the day, I am happy about being able to work with children so closely every day and having an influence on them now and into the future.

Tonya said...

I am a positive role model for the children. I have a passion for what I do and I love what I do.

Unknown said...

Cut childcare cost! Meet Nannies, Aupairs etc face to face & fast for free.
Nannyclub.net is UK's big unique Meet & Match-Up Childcare Events Co. for nanny jobs in London.
Nanny job

Unknown said...

Bcoz none other cn change the feeling of teaching little innocent chldren to become a good person whle thre are growing! And I love seing other people smile of happiness bcoz of me!

Kate said...

A great article!

Kate said...

These women must be amazing babysitters! Kids want their nannies to be creative and talkative extroverts who will relate to their level of play and do fun activities. Such an inspiring but at the same time a very difficult job. Agatha Singer has written about some great tips for becoing a babysitter. You may read the full article here. Maybe, you can add anything to her list?

360degreejobs said...

360degreejobs is a leading Online Job and Recruitment Portal which provides ac technician, air conditioner repairman, home cleaning professionals, house cleaning, housemaid in oman, philippines housemaid in Kuwait, plumbing services, security guard services. You can call us @9654271931